How Do I ...

How do I figure out who my legislator is?

The Suffolk County Voter Information Portal can tell you which elected officials represent you on a local, regional, and national level, as well as your polling place and fire, library and school district.

How do I find out when a public hearing is?

You may access the list of upcoming and past public hearings by visiting our Public Hearings page.

How do I speak before the Legislature?

Constituents may address the Legislature directly during any of the governing body’s general meetings or committee meetings by following these steps:

  1. Prepare your comments. Speakers are limited to three minutes.
  2. At the meeting, fill out a “speaker’s card.” Speaker’s cards are prominently displayed and available in the lobby of the legislative auditorium. There are two opportunities during a meeting to speak before the Legislature: during the “public portion,” when you may speak on any topic; and during a “public hearing,” when you must speak on the specific agenda item being discussed. The public portion is held at the beginning of a meeting, while public hearings are held at set times (2:00 p.m. for day meetings and 6:00 p.m. for night meetings).
  3. Once the meeting has begun, wait for your name to be called. Speaking order is first come, first heard.
  4. Walk to the podium in front of the horseshoe and deliver your message.
  5. If desired, provide copies of your comments in writing to the Legislative Clerk, who will preserve your comments for the record.

How do I send a letter to the Legislature?

Constituents are welcome to send written correspondence to the Legislature through the Office of the Legislative Clerk Amy Ellis. You may send an email or mail hard copies to P.O. Box 6100, Hauppauge, NY 11788-0099, to the Clerk’s attention. If you are writing about a particular resolution, please list the resolution number in your correspondence. Call 631-853-4074 with any questions.

How do I request access to a public document?

For access to documents covered by the Freedom of Information Law, please send a formal request in writing to Legislative Clerk Amy Ellis at P.O. Box 6100, Hauppauge, NY 11788-0099. Call 631-853-4074 with any questions.

 How do I find a law?

Visitors may view laws passed by Suffolk County or search pending legislation online.