$500 Homeowner Rewards Program
$500 HOMEOWNER REWARDS PROGRAM - receive a reimbursement for installing rain gardens, rain barrels or planting native plants
In order to help reduce the amount of pollutants entering our waterways, Peconic Estuary Program is offering homeowners that live within the Peconic Estuary watershed up to $500.
Rain gardens and native plantings must be 50sq. ft. minimum and rain barrels must be at least 50 gallons with mosquito protective netting. For any questions about the rewards program please call us at 631-852-5806 or e-mail [email protected]
Visit our website PeconicEstuary.org to see if you qualify
Rain Barrels collect untreated polluted water that would otherwise run off into our bays
Rain Gardens and Native Plants trap rain to recharge the groundwater
HOMEOWNER REWARDS PROGRAM HOW TO...
So you’ve decided you want to participate in our Rewards Program. Here are some tips on how to get started and frequently asked questions.
1. Visit our website (peconicestuary.org) to ensure your property is located within the Peconic Estuary Watershed boundary.
2. Download the rewards application from our website to be filled out and sent by e-mail to [email protected] or by mail to Peconic Estuary Program Suffolk County Dept. of Health Services, Office of Ecology 360
Yaphank Avenue Suite 2B Yaphank NY 11980.
3. Once we receive your application we will send a confirmation e-mail letting you know if you qualify and to move forward with your project.
4. After you have finished your project in its entirety you will be required to send itemized receipts and photos of the project to ensure proper installation.
5. A confirmation e-mail will confirm your project is ready for reimbursement.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is there a limit on how many rain barrels I can purchase? You can purchase up to 5 barrels. Each individual rain barrel receives a maximum of $100.
2. What is conservation landscaping? Replacing turf, lawn grass, pavement or other impermeable surfaces with native plants.
3. Can I plant a native garden and install a rain barrel? Yes, you may combined the two projects however no more than $500 will be reimbursed in total.
4. Can my landscaper plant the garden? Yes, keep an itemized receipt of the plants. The reimbursement goes through the homeowner not the landscaper.