April 15th E-newsletter from Legislator Kara Hahn
During this crisis, the work of local governments continues. On Monday – April 20, 2020, the Suffolk County Legislature will begin a week of committee meetings in accordance with the schedule adopted at the beginning of this year. However, due to the pandemic some necessary changes have been made to the procedures of these and other legislative meetings. Specifically, in person public comments have temporarily been suspended in an effort to protect the health of all.
While, members of the public will be unable to attend these meeting, their proceedings will be open and residents can continue to watch the debate and voting through the Legislature’s video stream available from https://livestream.com/scnylegislature. Additionally, the agendas for all committee meetings and general legislative session can be found at https://www.scnylegislature.us/149/Meeting-Information, so you can remain informed on all items up for consideration by the Legislature.
Finally, despite temporarily not being able to hear from you directly during these meetings, we still encourage you participate by sharing your thoughts and lending your voice to the issues that will be before us in the coming week. Public comments during this time may be made via email to email@example.com or mailed to the attention of the Clerk’s Office at the Suffolk County Legislature, William H. Rogers Building, 725 Veterans Memorial Highway, Smithtown, NY 11787. Submitted comments will be distributed to legislators for their consideration.
Help Serve Those Who Served
The Long Island State Veterans Home has put out an urgent appeal for donations of disposable protective coveralls. Specifically, the LISVH is seeking donation of DuPont Tyvek, Kimbley-Clark Kleenguard or other similar disposable protective coveralls that provide light-weight inherent barrier protection against hazardous dry particles and aerosols for use by LISVH personnel serving on the front-lines of caring for our Veterans. Sizes requested are Medium (M), Large (L)and Extra-Large (XL).
If you wish to donate, please call 631-444-8615. Donations can even be picked up.
Three Village Civic Association Launches
"The Helping Hands Initiative"
The Three Village Civic Association, with support from the Limroy Lane Community Charitable Foundation and other area families, has established the Helping Hands initiative to deliver groceries to our neighbors in need within the Three Village community.
This program is intended to assist residents who can not or should not go grocery shopping because they are infected with the coronavirus or are at high risk for severe reactions to COVID-19 due to age, disability and/or weakened immune system, or for those who are facing financial hardship due to the pandemic. Through our volunteers, the Civic Association will shop, pay for and deliver up to $100 in groceries to individuals who request assistance up to once per week. Residents who receive assistance are asked to make a contribution to the Civic’s Helping Hands program if they are able.
Suffolk County Police and FBI Warn of COVID-19 Scams
Law enforcement agencies are warning people to be on the look out for several types of scams related to the novel coronavirus. The warnings concern:
If you believe you have been a victim of COVID-19 fraud, immediately report it to National Center for Disaster Fraud Hotline at (866) 720-5721 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or the FBI (visit tips.fbi.gov, or call 1-800-CALL-FBI).
One of Suffolk County’s greatest assets is its thriving agricultural industry. From family farms to local farmers markets, our County’s food producers have been a driving force for our region’s tourism and essential to providing the sustenance necessary for our lives. Despite this pandemic, local farmers continue to provide the food and food products we need. The following listing of agricultural locations open to the public has been put together by the Long Island Farm Bureau and may help you locate those farm fresh items in shorter supply these days.
- Schmidtt’s Farm Stand- Open Wednesday thru Sunday from 10am to 4pm, stop by and they will bring items out to you or call 631-983-6565 to order ahead.
- Deer Run Farm Stand- Open Wednesday thru Sunday from 9am-6pm, accepting call ahead orders for curbside pick up. They have opened a second phone line to accommodate orders: call either 631-707-2195 or 631-926-9946. Most up to date offerings are shared on their Facebook and Instagram pages.
- Milk Pail Fresh Market- Open Monday thru Saturday from 9:30am to 5pm and Sunday from 10am to 5pm. Closed Tuesdays.
- Garden of Eve- Will be opening by April 11th from 9-6pm daily, or shop online directly here. Orders can be placed anytime Mon-Wed and pick up will be Fri-Sun (self service, boxes will have your name on it). Contact email@example.com to inquire about local delivery options.
- Sang Lee Farms-offering home delivery and farm pickup, sign up via waiting list on their website www.sangleefarms.com.
Additionally CSA signups are now open, deadline to register is May 1st.
- Andrews Family Farm- CSA sign ups are now open, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amber Waves Farm- online market open for pick-up at their market Tuesdays and Fridays visit www.amberwavesfarm.org for more information and to place your order.
- MKZ Farms/Jamesport Harvest- self-serve stand in front of the barn with herbs, greens and some prepared products from The Farmer’s Kitchen available, later in April flowers will be out as well. Call 631-987-2999 for more information or to place orders for pick-up.
Search the map above for more information and farm stand locations
- Great Gun Shellfish- Offering freshly harvested oysters. Pick up available Sunday’s at Silly Lily Fishing Station (see map below) or free delivery from Sayville to East Moriches on Wednesdays and South Fork residents on Fridays. Visit greatgunshellfish.com to place an order. Payment and delivery are contactless but must have cooler with ice on doorstep to receive delivery. Recommended to order 2 days in advance to ensure availability.
- Founders Oyster Farm- Offering fresh oysters from their self service roadside stand at 140 Founders Path in Southold.
- Southold Bay Oysters- Oysters by the baker’s dozen available at roadside self serve stand on Ackerly Pond Lane in Southold daily from 10am-7pm. For more information or contact go to southoldbayoysters.com.
- Peconic Gold Oysters- Offering fresh oysters, shucked pints, and oyster kimchi from their self service stand at 21125 County Rd 48 in Cutchogue or a second pick up location in Patchogue. Delivery is also available for large orders. Contact Captain Matt via their website peconicgoldoysters.com for more information.
- Little Ram Oyster Co.- Offering oysters from their roadside self serve stand at 12710 Soundview Ave in Southold and free delivery from Riverhead to Orient. Orders and payment are accepted contactless on their website littleramoysters.com.
- West Robins Oyster Co.- Offering home delivery of in-shell oysters in two sizes, small/medium or large/jumbo. There is a 24-piece minimum order and delivery charges are being waived until the end of April. Customers must leave cooler with ice on doorstep to recieve delivery. Orders can be placed on their website westrobins.com and will be delivered Saturday mornings to customers from East Quogue to Montauk. Please note location marked on map is not a true address (purple pin), while West Robins operate out of Southampton they are not selling direct from a stand at this time.
Search the map above for more information and Aquaculture locations
Dairy, Meat, & Eggs
- Goodale Farms- offering meat, eggs, dairy products from their roadside self-service stand or register for home delivery.
- Browder’s Birds- offering poultry and eggs from a roadside self-service stand or order online for pick-up.
- Crescent Duck- offering cases of whole duck, boneless duck breasts, duck legs and duck wings, call 631-722-8700 or email email@example.com ahead to order for pickup at the farm Monday - Friday from 7:30 to 4:30.
- Deep Roots Farm- offering chicken, eggs, pork and vegetables from their roadside self-service stand. Pre-order available beginning in April, for more information call 631-745-7928 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mecox Bay Dairy- offering meat and dairy products from a roadside self-service stand. Call 631-537-0335 for more information.
Search the map above for more information and Dairy, Meat and Egg locations
Residents who have questions related to the COVID-19 should continue to visit the county website, www.SuffolkCountyNY.gov or call Suffolk 3-1-1, or 631-853-6311 if outside the county, where you will be directly connected to a live operator who can direct your call to the appropriate place.